For all my non-local followers, I’m sure you’ve seen my tweets regarding #NotMyMrRoyal . I want to take the time to give the full details of the situation at hand and why this is so important to speak about. Here’s an info thread on what’s happening and why you should be angry:— nana (@bananacreamp1e) January 28, 2018
I was angry. I am angry. As an abuse survivor advocate, I am angry over the injustice being perpetuated by a tone-deaf response by the administration of Hamilton Southeastern Schools. The principal of HSE High School is Matt Kegley.
I cried when I read this. Her response was normal to a horrific situation. The students who called her such names should apologize and stand with her. #metoo https://t.co/3afuYQzFwD— Dee Parsons (@wartwatch) January 30, 2018
From the beginning they seemed to care more about protecting ZZ, the Royal football player, than the victim. She should never have had to change schools. @HSESchools should know that a safe environment is important after a victim comes forward. #NotMyMrRoyal— Amy Smith (@watchkeep) January 29, 2018
@HSEPrincipal @HSESchools Showing support by wearing black for the brave women at HSE High School and what they have had to endure for far too long. #TimesUp HSE, 3 more daughters to go through the system, this is NOT ok. #NotMyMrRoyal pic.twitter.com/b3pqmnBgF2— 4girls (@investedmomhse) January 29, 2018
Police in two Hamilton County communities confirm they are investigating sexual assault complaints from HSE students. https://t.co/wpoYujGhBq— WTHR.com (@WTHRcom) January 30, 2018
On Monday, some HSE students showed support for the alleged victims, dressing in black in school hallways and in photos posted on social media.
They’re protesting a school talent show award, “Mr. Royal,” being given to a male student last Thursday even as the student is under investigation for sexual assault.
“He sexually assaulted my daughter,” said the mother of an HSE student. “He forced her to do sexual activities that she was not comfortable with."
She is the second HSE parent Eyewitness News is aware of having made a complaint to police against the talent show winner.
The first was last fall. A father alleges his daughter was raped. After the attack they got a stay away order against the same suspect. The order is still in force.
“I hear stories about him all the time,” says the mother of another victim who spoke with us Monday night.
“I was shocked. I couldn’t believe it. And I saw congratulatory comments and I was blown away by that.”
That female student’s mother says the Mr Royal award and protests that followed in school and online moved her to come forward and report her daughter’s case to the the school and police on Friday.
“I don’t know what to do,” she said. “I feel so helpless.”
She and the father of the victim we spoke with on Saturday said they felt the school district had not moved swiftly with their complaints.
“I was starting to give up on the idea that I was going to get justice and now I have a chance to have a voice and I know that there are so many girls that he has harassed that he has assaulted and they get a chance to get their justice too,” a student allegedly attacked last year told us.