Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Not My Mr. Royal

Last Saturday, I noticed a tweet discussing #notmymrroyal. My friend Dee Parsons and I support these brave young ladies and their parents for speaking out. Dee will be adding her post on this story tomorrow at The Wartburg Watch.



I was angry. I am angry. As an abuse survivor advocate, I am angry over the injustice being perpetuated by a tone-deaf response by the administration of Hamilton Southeastern Schools. The principal of HSE High School is Matt Kegley.


FISHERS, Ind. (WTHR) - The teenage victim of an alleged sexual assault is speaking out after the student accused of attacking her is honored by their high school.
Both students went to Hamilton Southeastern High School.
The boy was recently named Mr. Royal for winning a school-sponsored talent show.
The alleged victim says she was assaulted on a date back in September. She and her family filed a protective order against the boy and claim they alerted the school system, but say no action was taken.
“We have uprooted our lives and she is the victim and I have such a hard time understanding that why the victim and the attacker can continue to go on like nothing happened,” said the girl’s father.
They say they are touched by the support in the wake of the controversy. The alleged victim says she wants to share her story to help others.
“For four months I did not have a voice," she said Saturday. "For four months, nobody believed me, and I didn't really think that this case was really going anywhere and I was starting to give up on the idea that I was going to get justice,” she said. “Now I have a chance to have a voice and I know that there are so many girls that he has harassed, that he has assaulted, and they get a chance to get their justice too.”
Fishers Police and Noblesville Police are investigating, however at this time no charges have been filed in connection with the case.






WTHR:
On Monday, some HSE students showed support for the alleged victims, dressing in black in school hallways and in photos posted on social media.
They’re protesting a school talent show award, “Mr. Royal,” being given to a male student last Thursday even as the student is under investigation for sexual assault. 
“He sexually assaulted my daughter,” said the mother of an HSE student. “He forced her to do sexual activities that she was not comfortable with."
She is the second HSE parent Eyewitness News is aware of having made a complaint to police against the talent show winner. 
The first was last fall. A father alleges his daughter was raped. After the attack they got a stay away order against the same suspect. The order is still in force.
“I hear stories about him all the time,” says the mother of another victim who spoke with us Monday night.
“I was shocked. I couldn’t believe it. And I saw congratulatory comments and I was blown away by that.” 
That female student’s mother says the Mr Royal award and protests that followed in school and online moved her to come forward and report her daughter’s case to the the school and police on Friday. 
“I don’t know what to do,” she said. “I feel so helpless.”
She and the father of the victim we spoke with on Saturday said they felt the school district had not moved swiftly with their complaints. 
“I was starting to give up on the idea that I was going to get justice and now I have a chance to have a voice and I know that there are so many girls that he has harassed that he has assaulted and they get a chance to get their justice too,” a student allegedly attacked last year told us.






No comments: